DISCLAIMERS: The following list contains titles that I feel are appropriate based on their historical content. Most of these films I have seen and feel are appropriate, but there are a couple that I haven't seen yet and they may contain content that you find objectionable. Seeing as this is extra credit, you do not need a permission slip, but I am trusting you to use your judgement when it comes to what you and your parents feel is appropriate. If you are unsure before beginning, either google the film or use IMDB to find descriptions of the film.
You must watch your chosen film all the way through before responding and I am trusting you to do this. I am also trusting you to watch a film that you have not already seen, or that if you have watched your chosen movie, that you watch it again for this assignment. If you want to watch a film together in a group, you may make an arrangement to do so in my classroom or make some other arrangement. Everyone must do their own post to the film, however.
DUE DATE: I want these posted to the blog no later than the end of the day on Friday, March 4, 2011. After that, you cannot earn any credit.
QUESTIONS TO ANSWER: After watching the film, consider the following questions and post your answers to THIS blog page. (borrowed from: http://blogs.moundsparkacademy.org/worldhistory10/extra-credit---world-history-1.html)
· What film did you watch?
· What elements of "World History" was touched on by the film?
· How did the film reinforce and/or change your understanding of that history?
· What did you think of the film? (Comment on whatever you would like.)
I am looking for responses to be paragraphs, following the rule of 5-7 complex sentences per paragraph.
FILM LIST: I will certainly add more titles to the list as they come to me. (I will consider suggestions as well.) I might also add some brief descriptions if/when I get a chance. For now, here is a start of films that I consider good choices for the assignment.
Blood Diamond (2006)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Gallipoli (1981)
Flyboys (2006)
The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968)
Amistad (1997)
Michael Collins (1996)
Zulu (1964)
Out of Africa (1985)
Black Robe (1991)
The Mission (1986)
Invictus (2009)
The Four Feathers (2002)
Ghandi (1984)
Ghandi (1984)
1.) I watched Invictus. This movie tells a story of Nelson Mandela who worked with the captain of South Africa's rugby team to help bring their country together. Mandella was the newly elected president and he knows his nation remains racially and economically divided believing he can bring his people together through sports. Mandella brings together South Africa's rugby team as they make their incredible run to the 1995 Rugby World Cup Championship match. Through rugby the president brings the nation together and teaches the people of his country that rugby is not just a white man's sport it is for everyone. The team travels to the poorer parts of South Africa and teaches the children to play while working with the men of the team they learn that there is no reason for blacks to be below whites.
ReplyDelete2.) This film touches on segregation and racism in South Africa. During the time the movie was set in there were many very unfair treatments. Colored men were not treated anywhere near as fair as white men. In fact Mandella was thrown in jail for being a political speaker who spoke out about the current form of government. After he had spent his time in jail, he ran for president and was elected. He finally achieved his goal of controlling the racism in his country.
3.) This film reinforced my understanding of racism. It also showed me how extreme they were treated because of the color of their skin. It was very interesting to see just how they were treated. It taught me the importance of the change that Mandella made in the thinking of their government in South Africa.
4.) I really enjoyed this film because it was based on true history. It was very uplifting to hear Mandella's story of turning away from the negative and trying to build a better future for his country. I thought it was very interesting how he used sports to create racial unity throughout his country.