Monday, March 7, 2011

Blood Diamond

I watched the inspirational movie, Blood Diamond. There were many key elements that this movie touched that are still happening today. For instance, there was the abduction of kids, like Solomon's son, Dia, who are trained by the guerilla rebels to murder. There was also the lust and greed for diamonds that many types of leaders wanted. These small rocks were very valuable to a different variety of people with good intentions and bad intentions. An example, the rebels made the captured villagers and slaves dig in different areas until they found diamonds. Some brave slaves would try to hide the rock and runaway, but most were killed for doing so. From there, they would trade with black-market dealers for weapons to use against their enemies. In addition, the military used these stones to buy weapons and authority as well. And in between all this chaos, many innocent villagers and citizens were caught in the cross fire, like Solomon's village and many others. It reinforced my thoughts on that part of the world greatly. Some thoughts were that the lives of the people who lived there were completely different than the lives of people that live in more civilized parts of the world. I now understand that a lot of helpful people are trying their best to support and aid these miserable people. However, most people do not take their time into caring for these tpe of people. I believe that powerful people were and are very corrupt and forcefully persuasive when it comes to violence and supremacy. Also, the harmless natives were feeble, stranded, and were accidentally in the way of these people’s plans. Plus, I did not like the thought that the acquitted, indigenous people were made to either kill others, serve as slaves, or killed as a means of target-practice or an enjoyment or a means of expressing an idea. A factor that affected all these people were the diamonds, that were “soaked in the blood and tears of simple inhabitants” and worth a vast amount of money. In all, this movie was inspiring and motivational to all those who viewed it. I enjoyed the part how Solomon was reunited with his family and how Dia was able to be restored from the experiences of being a child soldier. The depressing part of the movie was how Danny Archear never made it out of the country with his friends. in the end i liked how Solomon was able to talk to the people in the council and expressing his experiences of life there in his home country. Plus, Maddy Bowren, a journalist wrote a successful article that would motivate people, who have not heard about these problems, to help. Then I received the information from this movie and more motivation and inspiration from another movie called, “War Dance,” that I obtained the idea of starting a fundraiser - which is leading up to a club - that will help towards people of these same situations and matters. Finally, I would like to say that many pure people are heavily influenced by others that hold or are wanting power, just like Solomon and Dia. These people will lead the pure people down a path of suffering and pain which they never had experienced in their lives. I would like to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.