Sunday, March 6, 2011

Flyboys


1. I chose to watch Flyboys, a film made in 2006. This movie tells the struggles a group of American men endured during World War I. The men volunteered to serve the French military prior to America's entrance in the war. They ventured on to become members of the French fighter pilots, and take down many German planes. The movie is based on a true story, and reveals what happened to each of the American men at the end.
2. Flyboys concentrated on the middle years of World War I, before American entry. It showed the relationship between the allied countries and how their teamwork helped them throughout the war. The movie also demonstrated the brutality of war, despite the common illusion of only glory coming from war. The American men form friendships during their training and learn that every person there has a purpose in the war. This movie shows the inner battle the soldiers face, having to deal with such loss.
3. The movie helped me realize that not only are the soldiers fighting against other men, but they are fighting for much more. The men struggled with loyalty, expectations from their family, love, loss, and the reality of war. The first time the group of men flew, one threw up as soon as he touched the ground. They each had to meet high expectations, backed up by only a little training. The history and feelings that were felt in that time became a reality within this film.
4. I thought that this film would be like a traditional action movie, and not impact me too much. However, as I continued to watch it, I found myself surprised how much I could relate to the soldiers. My dad was in the air force, and I asked him if he knew people who flew fighter planes like the ones in the movie. I was surprised to find that my grandpa flew ones just like it, and shot down planes much like the actors in the film did. I really liked this movie and I am glad that I understand the reality of the soldiers' situation a little bit more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.